banner
HISTORY
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross is a Swiss Congregation founded in Switzerland. The South African Province of the Congregation was founded from the General Motherhouse in Switzerland in 1883. This was the first time that a Catholic religious congregation had embarked upon missionary activity outside the confines of Europe. Therefore we celebrate, this year, and with great joy and thanksgiving our 125 years of loving service in a variety of apostolic works throughout our S. African Province.

“May Jesus live in our hearts.” (Mother Bernarda)

Fr Theodosius Fiorentini, O.F.M. Capuchin (1808-1865) was one of the most prominent and influential men  in the history of the Church in his time. He was passionate about Christ, Education and family life.
In his vision Father Theodosius saw a new society on the way, a society that was more humane and just according to the understanding of the Gospel.
Notwithstanding the obstacles, attacks and failures, and convinced about his mission in the church, he was determined to take the wheel of time into his own hands.
Mother Bernarda's concern was for a holistic Christian education, especially for girls of working-class families. By raising the educational level of girls, the position of women in society would gradually improve and a deepening of the Christian faith would take place. People of her time should receive a clear orientation built on faith.

“The need of the time is the will of God" (Fr Theodosius)

Theodosius
bernarda

MOTHER BERNARDA HEIMGARTNER (1822-1863) was the Founder of the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Menzingen / Switzerland. She said: 
“Be brave 
and every day begin a new to love God. Leave the worry of your school in the hands of the good Lord. Do what you can, give glory to God, be humble and ask for His blessing, without which our labours will bear no fruit.”

Our school was founded in 1959. It started with one class in a small room attached to the local parish church. Sister Philomena Burgess was the first teacher & principal. With time Fr Ward’s double garage was turned into a second classroom. Later that year a large portion of the school was built. On the 3rd of April 1960, Archbishop Owen McCann blessed the school and Holy Mass was introduced that same decade. In October 1961 the first group of pupils had their First Holy Communion.
Today, Sr Eileen Kenny still teaches Religious Education at our school.
philomena